Monday, 22 January 2018

One Pager in Class Assignment on Camosun and the Media



Upgrade Needed, Cindy Peckham, January 22, 2017
I do pay attention to news reports in the traditional medium of print, however I only purchase the paper if the front page headline and top story are of interest to me. I tend to listen to news on the radio when I am driving in the car, but I don’t seek it out. I no longer watch TV news having cut the cord with cable. As for social media I will check in if I am looking for specific information, such as on the #yyj stream in twitter, or Victoria Buzz Feed, both on Twitter and Facebook, but I am not subscribed to anything. I will scan international news-feeds in Twitter, like CNN or BBC, or even individual reporters who are live tweeting events as they unfold if I catch wind of something big, like rioting in America for example. Additionally I will also click on news links or feeds that are in the side bars if it’s something current or trending.
Public relations is incredibly important at Camosun, like any business, it needs to be seen and heard. That said it’s not reaching me. I have seen the advertisements on the bus, and continuing education inserts in the Times Colonist, but not much else. I admit I don’t often read Nexus as it is geared to the student populace and I am usually about twenty years older than the average student, and subsequently feel I am not really the target audience. That said, I think Camosun needs to improve its content, especially where social media is concerned. They have an opportunity to meet students were they live and provide solutions in real time. Under the current system, something as simple as finding out if the college is open or closed due to weather will send students on a wild goose chase with no resolution. Camosun could host events that foster school spirit to improve interactions, or even provide incentives. Ultimately, people only interact with the businesses they feel a connection to, or if they feel they have been provided something of value.

No comments:

Post a Comment